Managing SEO settings
CloudCart enables you to improve the visibility of your online store in search engines search results. In Settings >> SEO, you are able to:
- redirect all of you old URL addresses into your new ones
- manage your RSS feed
- create meta titles and meta descriptions
- control how the search engines index your store
How to use 301 Redirects
A redirect is a way to send both users and search engines to a different URL from the one they originally requested. If you already own a store created by another platform, configuring your 301 Redirects is the easiest and quickest way to update your customers with this information as they will be automatically redirected to your new Store on CloudCart.
Note: Before starting with the steps below, you must go to your Settings >> Domains and Add your existing domain.
After adding the existing domain, go to Settings >> SEO Settings >> 301 Redirects
Here you can choose to:
1) Import – You can add your own CSV file with all redirects you need to our system and CloudCart will import all you new URL addresses. This allows you to quickly set all your old URL addresses redirected to all your new URL ones.
2) Add a redirect – Clicking this button will provide you two new empty fields where you should type your old and new URL addresses. When you paste your old URL address you have a dropdown menu where you can choose:
- Manual redirect – This option means that you have to manually paste the new URL address to the empty field next to the dropdown
- All other options will lead you to the selected section you would like to redirect the old URL address. This way, the field below new URL address will open for you another dropdown where you should choose the item that will be resulted by the search engines when your customers type your old URL address.
3) Click Save
Managing your RSS feed
RSS feeds benefit users who want to receive timely updates from favourite websites, in this case – your online Store! Subscribing to a store RSS removes the need for the user to manually check the website for new content. Instead, their browser constantly monitors the site and informs the user of any updates.
Go to Settings >> SEO Settings
Here you can:
- Choose the number of products that will be shown on your RSS feed, by typing the amount in the empty field shown on the top left side of the SEO settings page.
- Get the link for your online Store RSS feed and provide your customers with it. The link will always begin with http://yourstore.cloudcart.net/
Type the desired ending of the link on the top right field of the SEO settings page.
Creating page titles and meta descriptions
Having unique titles and meta descriptions helps you improve search optimization, user experience and click-through rate. With CloudCart you can create unique titles (the title of the page that shows up in the browser window) and meta description for each store sections, namely:
To create a meta title and/or meta descriptions for one or all of the sections described above, just enter the text you want in the respective Meta title or Meta Description text fields in Settings >> SEO.
Changing the robots.txt file
You can control which parts of your store to be crawled by the search engine bots by changing the content of the
robots.txt file. This file is automatically generated when you create your new store in CloudCart and can be accessed via the
Robots.txt file section in Settings >> SEO.
Note: Be very careful when you change anything in the
robots.txt file, because an error might lead to all or some of the pages of your store not being indexed by the search engines!
When using a trial account, the
robots.txt file disallows the search engines from accessing your store.
At the end of the
robots.txt file there is a reference to the sitemap of your store, which is also automatically generated the moment that you create your CloudCart store. The sitemap is dynamically updated each time you add or delete pages of your store.